Saturday, March 17, 2007

Not a good day for the Irish!



I am not a fan of Notre Dame University.

I would not say that I hate this institution and their teams, but I am usually cheering for the other team that is playing against them. I feel this way because it seems that Notre Dame receives preferential treatment by the sports media and by the television networks. Notre Dame can have a mediocre football season and still get a bowl bid because of their fanatically devoted alumni and fans. The media knows that Notre Dame is one of those institutions that fans love, even if they are not an alumni of Notre Dame. A father of one of my friends loved Notre Dame and this father never attended a day of college in his life! Notre Dame seems to hold some kind of strange mystique for some people I guess. It's just like how some people get all excited about celebrating Saint Patrick's Day, and they are not of Irish descent. Somehow I believe these two oddities of loving of a college one has never attended and putting on a green hat while drinking green beer on Saint Patrick's Day are interrelated...it's like some kind of weird Irish-Catholic voodoo spell has been put on the people that fall into this group.

As I said earlier, I am not a fan of Notre Dame University. Obviously I took some pleasure from seeing that the Notre Dame men's basketball team lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament yesterday, the day before Saint Patrick's Day, to lowly Winthrop University.

Did I tell you that I picked Winthrop to beat Notre Dame in the office bracket pool? I think I'll drink me one of those green beers now!

5 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, March 18, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Congrats on the win. When you say lowly, I think that makes the ND Irish look even more pathetic!

I seriously think people like them because of their colors (quite appealing) and the mascot, especially in the US. You know it's all about instant gratification with the popularity factor thrown in...

Definitely not me!

Thanks for stopping by the hunt. Yes the fountain looks like it needs a good cleaning and usually they do clean those trophs in the winter/beginning of spring. But I wouldn't be drinking out of that one!

 
At 12:08 PM, March 18, 2007, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Oh. I'm sure we won't disappoint you, CB. Except for wearing a bit of green last night, we only had Aussie food, Aussie wine and Aussie beer with TBFs (oh, and more wine, but it wasn't green) ;)

 
At 9:58 AM, June 01, 2007, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Hey! It's Friday! you've had enough time to recover from the jet-lag!!! Where's the new post???!

 
At 7:36 PM, June 04, 2007, Blogger Mrs. TBF said...

Would you just Blog already????!!!!! Brother...you can do it.

 
At 12:07 PM, June 05, 2007, Blogger Mark said...

CB, C'mon, it's been way past recovering from the jetlag. Get the posts up. Keep them coming. We wana read your stories about your last travel to Europe. Please, please, please...Go for it! We're here to support you :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home