Wednesday, September 06, 2006

TV Nirvana!

Yesterday it was delivered and installed; a 40 inch Sony LCD flat screen TV, a two zone receiver, a DVD player and surround sound speaker system.

But what an ordeal it was to have it installed! When we bought this system and set up the delivery date, the salesman walked us over to the woman that schedules this and told us that they had not even opened up the schedule for September and that we were first on the list for the installation. Given what we were looking for them to do during the installation, it was definitely going to be an all day job for the installation crew, so I assumed they would be there first thing in the morning and they agreed that would be the case.

However, the first thing that happened yesterday was that they called to say that they would be arriving between 10:00AM and 12:00PM. My wife took the call and informed me of this. I immediately made good use of the caller id history on our phone and called the installer back. After some complaining by me, he promised to be at our house closer to 10:00AM then to 12:00PM. Two of them arrived at our home at approximately 10:00AM.

They did not leave our house until after 10:00PM that night.

And guess what? I found some speaker wire, that they ran out of our crawl space to the outside to get into the siding, that is still not tucked into the siding and is laying on the ground outside our house. Needless to say, I am not happy with the way the installation went on this. Especially when you consider that ABT charged us $1000 to install this system.

Anyway, it looks and sounds great and we are finally enjoying our family room the way it was intended to be enjoyed.

8 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, September 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For $1000 bucks for installation,they should give you an audio/visual happy ending!

 
At 3:25 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger The Big Finn said...

$1,000 BUCKS!!!!!!!! My god...where do you live....Switzerland? I hope they "finished you off" for that price!

 
At 4:10 PM, September 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now all ya need is a ledder chair, some dental floss, Jo bringin' yous some ice tea, openin' and closin' your hands above yer head while sayin' WEEEEEEEE, and a Cubs belt buckle! Oh...and when is dat camper mirror gonna be mounted on yer house? Maybe while yer takin' two hours to shave?
- King

 
At 9:30 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Colon Blow said...

TMS & TBF,

The cost of installation is really all about setting up the speakers, running the cables through the dry walls, etc. Besides the four speakers mounted in the family room, we had them install two speakers into the ceiling of the living room and a volume control in the wall of that room.

Quite a job.

 
At 8:02 AM, September 08, 2006, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Now that I think about it...I seem to recall that our system cost something like $350 to install in 1997, and wasn't as complicated as yours. However, it did involve a sat. dish on the roof. So, I guess $1,000 in 2006 is not too bad.

 
At 10:38 AM, September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when I think about it, I should have spent the money. There are speaker wires and ill-placed speakers all over the room

 
At 3:41 PM, September 08, 2006, Blogger Mrs. TBF said...

looking forward to seeing it in action. By the way...did I tell you I'm coming to town on Oct 12th??? Only staying the weekend...but maybe we could do a B-day dinner for Jomamma.

 
At 6:40 PM, September 08, 2006, Blogger The Sour Kraut said...

TMS has two inches on you. CB.

I disagree with TMS. Our speakers - though not ideal - are not ill-placed and I see no speaker wire lying around. I think TMS has done a wonderful job of setting it up and saving us a lot of money.

I'm off to go shopping!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home