Sunday, August 06, 2006

Friday, in the park....

This past Friday evening, my wife and I decided to drive to the suburb we lived in over 12 years ago, Park Ridge, Illinois. During the summer months, the Park Ridge Fine Arts Society sponsors free concerts in the park located in front of the Park Ridge City Hall. While we lived in Park Ridge, we really enjoyed those Friday summer evenings in the park, walking the short distance from our condo to the park with our lawn chairs, a picnic dinner and of course a bottle of wine. Even though we have moved to a suburb 20-25 driving minutes to the northwest, we try to attend a concert there at least once a summer. The weather finally cooled off a little this past week, so we were looking forward to a very pleasant summer evening. Most of the concerts sponsored are performed by the Park Ridge Fine Arts Symphony Orchestra. The performances they provide are obviously not of the caliber of a major metropolitan symphony orchestra, but hey, did I mention that it's free? In addition to that, after about a half a bottle of wine each, we think they sound just fine.

On some evenings they sponsor other artists. This past Friday evening, they sponsored Corky Siegel's Chamber Blues, which tries to combine the two very different musical styles of classical chamber music and the blues. Corky Siegel has been around the Chicago blues music scene since the mid '60s when he and Jim Schwall formed the Siegel-Schwall Band.
I wasn't sure how I was going to like the concert, but I was interested in seeing a Chicago blues legend live (and did I mention it was free?). Imagine hearing a blues harmonica or blues piano played against a viola, violin and cello...kinda weird at first. After the first song, I turned to my wife and commented that it was OK, but I was not sure that I was all that wild about this musical experience. As the concert went on, we found ourselves enjoying the music, so much so that by the end of the concert we both decided to buy their CD (a little overpriced, at $20 dollars, but hey, did I mention that the concert was free?).

Hmm...maybe it was the bottle of wine that made them sound so good.

9 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Mrs. TBF said...

Definitely a wine induced CD purchase.
Mrs CB looks lovely by the way with her glass of red wine. By the way, in conversation with MOCB (Mother of Colon Blow) last night she stated that alcohol was the root of all evil - that comment brought on by e the Mel Gibson incident which was the first thing she wanted to talk to me about.

 
At 1:32 AM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man...your wife's a babe!!!!!! what is she, like, half your age or something?

 
At 8:50 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Colon Blow said...

Mrs. TBF,

Yes, she went into her Mel Gibson tirade with me later that same day. Help!

Anonymous (or TBF?),

Yes, she is a babe. Thanks for writing that because I had to take 3 pictures of her before she agreed on that one for the blog. As far as her age, I will say she is younger than me, but I will not reveal more than that.

 
At 12:11 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Bobby The C said...

sounds nice! Mrs CB has always been a babe. I kind of understand MOCBs feelings, but I found the whole Mel Gibson thing ridiculous. What he said was reprehensible, but who the hell cares what Mel Gibson thinks?! He is a friggin' actor!!!!

 
At 4:28 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Sorry, my man...wasn't me. I haven't been able to connect to the internet for the past 24 hours due to whatever kind of problem that now seems to have corrected itself.
It looks like Mrs. CB has a secret admirer.

 
At 4:29 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Very pretty wife indeed. :)

 
At 12:40 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Mrs. TBF said...

Since birth you seem to be a really slow growing blog - what's up wit dat???

 
At 2:56 PM, August 19, 2006, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Blog today...or face 7-day blog roll suspension!

 
At 8:42 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Bobby The C said...

Colon Blow, I second TBFs threat. You are extremely entertaining, please share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home